Skip to main content

Coffee Pudding by sweetums Gaya3


Gaya3 and my friendship clicked from the very first day. Dunno what it was but it always felt like writing to an ol' friend with whom I haven't spoken for some time. We have n number of similar likes and dislikes even. If I don't stop now, I never will. :) So, in short, this post is by guest my bestest friends, Gaya3. Both of us are amateur cooks and have a lot of passion about cooking and baking. Ok enough of my yapping. You guys have to absolutely check out her blog here. :)

Over to my gurl ----> Gaya3


Guest post? ME? Are you insane? You must be joking or mocking or definitely taunting me !


This was my first reaction when Gopika asked me to do a guest post for her blog- THE KITCHEN AFFAIRE.

I remember denying vigorously stating that I was way too an amateur blogger/ writer/cook to blog myself, let alone the idea of doing an entire guest post. But wasn’t my newest and one of my best friends in the virtual space persistent! And she went on to say how this idea was perfect and how much this would mean to her if I did this.

Now when someone puts it like that (rather blackmail :-) ), you have no choice but to agree !

Though me and Gopz (as I call her) discovered each other just three months back, it astonishes me the extent to which we have gotten close. Just goes on to refute the assumption that two people needn’t meet in person to go on to become great friends, because the fact remains that we both are currently based in two continents and bonded instantly due to numerous similarities such as that we both are newly married, located away from parents, started cooking post marriage, love for reading and movies and most importantly, the ardent love for cooking /baking or to put it aptly -we are truly baking-crazy. Infact, not exaggerating or utilizing my writer’s license,  we both ended up baking a banana bread and a zebra cake in the exact same month at around the exact same time with absolutely no prior planning. Would saying – “Great minds think alike” be too clichéd?

Oh ! Not to forget the passionate love we share for cakes/ desserts/ sweets/ chocolates/ baked goodies etc etc etc..

So I thought what would be more perfect to present here than a dessert to celebrate the sweetness of our newly found friendship, our blogs and to propose a toast to many more such friendships.

The recipe I have decided to share is that of a COFFEE PUDDING, which was initially experimented by my mom from the popular Malayalam TV show hosted by Dr. Lakshmi Nair. When I recently went home for Onam, I insisted that we make this so that I could capture it for this post. Here goes:
  
                               


COFFEE PUDDING
(Serves approx 8 people)


  • Water- 0.5+1.5=2 cups
  • China grass/ Agar-agar flakes- 2.5 tbsp (I used these kinds which looked exactly like this and this)
  • Sugar- 4 tbsp
  • Instant coffee powder- 2  tsp
  • Sweetened condensed milk/Milkmaid - ½ tin of 395g (I used Nestle brand)
  • Fresh cream (or Whipping cream) – 1 cup/250 ml  (I generally use Almarai or KDD brand)


Take ½ cup of water and soak the china grass flakes in it for about 15 mins. Boil the remaining water in a pan.Once it starts boiling, add the sugar and the coffee powder and keep stirring till the sugar gets dissolved.  


Post that, lower the flame and add the soaked china grass mixture into this. Mix well and boil until the china grass flakes dissolve fully. This would take approx 10 mins. Now switch off the flame and allow it to cool. Pass this mixture through a strainer and please do not avoid this step as otherwise, some of the china grass strands might be found floating in the mixture.


In another bowl, add the condensed milk and the cream. Combine well with a balloon whisk or wooden spatula.

Now, incorporate both the mixtures and pour the final mixture into a greased pudding tray. Allow to cool completely under room temperature.Then refrigerate the same for 1-2 hours, which can be cut into wedges.


How to serve? 
This can be served with some chocolate/butterscotch sauce or even with vanilla/coffee/butter pecan flavoured ice-cream, if you like or for that matter, just as it is.


                       

Notes:






  • The original recipe uses gelatin. Inspite of being non-vegetarians, both me and mom are averse to using gelatin in our puddings. If using gelatin, use 2 tbsps instead .
  • When using cream, we preferred to use fresh cream which is generally produced daily and comes with a shorter expiry date as opposed to Nestle tinned cream. My mom has experimented with both and though not distinctive, she said the pudding with fresh cream tasted better.
  • The pudding tray can be greased with butter for easier unmoulding.
  • On setting, the pudding can be inverted just like one would do for a cake and be cut into various shapes as per your liking.



  • I further decorated it with Hershey’s semi-sweet chocolate chips and cadbury’s drinking chocolate powder.
  • This recipe can be doubled (which we tried) and I am assuming can be tripled as well.
  • The pictures you see is here is that of the doubled version and hence each wedge is thicker as opposed to that of a single version.


How we liked it ?
We loved the subtle coffee flavour and the creamy texture of the pudding. I personally also liked the crunch and bitterness of the chocolate chips accompanied with the slight hint of the drinking chocolate powder.

                       

To my dearest Gopika, thank you so much from the bottom of the heart for this gesture. The emotional boost that you have given me by demanding and trusting me to do this can’t probably ever be expressed here.

Comments

  1. Beautiful pudding,love the flavor..yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flavorful delicious looking pudding...Lovely clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply heavenly looking Pudding. It can not get more lavish than this.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow yummy pudding,luks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous pudding. very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pudding looks and sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful guest post...awesome looking pudding

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the tale of 2 friends..Friendship is precious !!
    Pudding looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. pudding looks so yummy and well done...lovely guest post with beautiful clicks..kudos to your friendship !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg, seriously pudding looks inviting and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That looks fantastic...nice presentation too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pudding looks so inviting and yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. simple GORGEOUS! Love your aloo bondas too - YUM a bit of this and a couple of that with a steaming cup of chai would be blissful :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shahi Paneer / Indian Cottage Cheese In Creamy Gravy

Shahi Paneer is a very popular dish in India. Shahi means "Royal". Shahi Paneer is a part of the " Mughlai " cuisine. "Mughlai" cuisine was developed in the kitchens of the Mughal Empire . This cuisine is always famous for its distinct aroma consisting of whole spices. Gosh, I am feeling hungry! :D Paneer is one of my all-time favorites. :) I just love Paneer. :D And so I am always in search of new paneer recipes. And here is another one from the lovely Aipi of US Masala . :D Thanks to her awesome recipes. I keep going back to check out all of them. I am always sure to find something new :) Here is the recipe friends. Do try it out and let me know how you like it.. :D Ingredients Paneer, cubed – 1 C Onions, chopped – 2 Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp Garam Masala – 1/4 t Ginger -1 " pc Garlic - 3 Green chilli - 2 Asafetida/hing - a pinch Almonds - 1/4 C Cashew - 1/2 C Milk- 1 C Water - 1 C Sugar – 1/2 t Salt – to taste C

Hummus

How can I even dream of having a Pita bread without this yummy creamy dip --> Hummus of course. :) Like many other cuisines, Mediterranean was also introduced to me by my hubby dear. He loves Hummus and now, me too :D And thats how I ended trying to make it at home. Ingredients Yogurt - 1/4 C Garbanzo Beans / Chick Peas - 2 C Tahini (Sesame Seed Paste) - 1/2 C Lemon Juice - 1/2 C Garlic cloves - 3 Salt - 1/2 t Citric acid - 1/4 t Water - 2 T Mint Leaves - a few For garnishing Parsley - 2 T Cayenne Pepper or Paprika - 1 t Olive Oil - 1/4 C Method   In a food processor, add the garbonzo beans, garlic, lemon juice and salt, blend until smooth.  Next add yogurt, tahini, water, citric acid and mint leaves. Spread the hummus in a plate and garnish with parsley, cayenne pepper and olive oil. Serve with pita bread.

The Kitchen Affaire turns One :)

The afternoon breeze and the sound of rustling leaves is so soothing. So here I sit, enjoying this change of weather, to pen memories of last year. Gosh!! I cant believe that - The Kitchen Affaire; is turning "One". :) Time does fly. Last year has been very eventful. An year that changed my title from: a carefree mommy's gal to an "adorable" ("A" would not agree with this!! hi hi) wife; an IT engineer to a house-wife;  and a huge move from my home in Kerala (India) to a new home in Houston (U.S.A). It feels like all of this happened in a blink of an eye. All this change wouldn't have sunk in so easily if not for my hubby dear. :)   Starting this blog was not impromptu. I used to blog during my college days. But this time I wanted a blog meant only for my cooking experiments or challenges. After settling down in our lovely apartment, I slowly started my cooking experiments. Initially I would jot all of it in a notebook. Then I decided not to a