Skip to main content

Urulakizhangu/Potato Bonda



I just love bonda. Sometimes the word bonda sounds very funny. Does it to you guys too? hi hi..  Anyways, bonda is one of the popular snacks in Kerala (India). The first thing that comes into my mind when I think of them are of those little bakeries which display freshly made bonda's in glass cabinets right in front of the store. One look at those yummy ball like thing and you know you want it!! I remember dragging daddy to the bakery to buy me some :)  Nostalgia.. 

Here is the recipe for you guys.. Make em and I hope you enjoy them too!




Ingredients


For the filling

  • Potato - 3
  • Onion, chopped - 1/2
  • Green chill - 2
  • Curry leaves - a few 
  • Turmeric powder - 1 t
  • Salt - to taste 
  • Oil - 1 T


For the batter
  • Chickpea flour/Gram flour/Besan - 1 C
  • Rice flour - 1 T
  • Ginger, finely chopped - 1 t
  • Red chilli powder - 1 t
  • Asafoetida/Hing - 1/2 t
  • Salt - to taste 
  • Water - as needed





Method


For the filling 
  • Peel the potatoes and cut into small pieces.
  • Move them into a microwave safe dish.
  • Sprinkle little water and cook upto  5 minutes or till the potatoes are soft enough to be mashed.
  • Once done, mash the potatoes.
  • In a pan, add oil.
  • When hot add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
  • Add curry leaves, onion, green chilies, ginger, and the mashed potatoes.
  • Sprinkle turmeric and salt and sauté the mix well.
  • Turn off the heat.
  • Allow the mix to cool.
  • Roll the mix into small ball shaped portions.


For the batter
  • In a bowl, add gram flour, chili powder, rice flour, asafetida, and salt. 
  • Mix all of the ingredients very well.
  • Add water slowly to make it a thick paste.
  • Keep the mix aside for 5 to 10 mins.
  • Heat oil at medium high, in a deep frying pan.
  • When hot, dip the filling balls into the batter and deep fry.
Your yummy Potato/Aloo/Urulakizhangu bonda is ready to be devoured. :)

Comments

  1. this is my alltime favorite...very yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow pass the plate dear,love to have it rite now with a cupa tea...

    ReplyDelete
  3. perfect bondas and love to have this now for this rainy weather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh it makes me so hungry at this dinner time! This weekend for sure :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super tempting bonda, would love to have with a cup of tea..

    ReplyDelete
  6. bonda looks perfect n very tempting... perfect tea time snack.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very delicious and wholesome looking bondas. amazingly prepared.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow..Am drooling over your bondas..Nostalgic !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Luv the potato bonda..Nice appetizer for this winter

    ReplyDelete
  10. perfect recipe...love this with coconut chutney...;)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm...looks very tempting...would love to have some with my evening tea

    ReplyDelete
  12. delicious bondas, i too remember them in all the small hotels and in bakeries, its been a while I made these..looks so tempting dear..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shahi Paneer / Indian Cottage Cheese In Creamy Gravy

Shahi Paneer is a very popular dish in India. Shahi means "Royal". Shahi Paneer is a part of the " Mughlai " cuisine. "Mughlai" cuisine was developed in the kitchens of the Mughal Empire . This cuisine is always famous for its distinct aroma consisting of whole spices. Gosh, I am feeling hungry! :D Paneer is one of my all-time favorites. :) I just love Paneer. :D And so I am always in search of new paneer recipes. And here is another one from the lovely Aipi of US Masala . :D Thanks to her awesome recipes. I keep going back to check out all of them. I am always sure to find something new :) Here is the recipe friends. Do try it out and let me know how you like it.. :D Ingredients Paneer, cubed – 1 C Onions, chopped – 2 Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp Garam Masala – 1/4 t Ginger -1 " pc Garlic - 3 Green chilli - 2 Asafetida/hing - a pinch Almonds - 1/4 C Cashew - 1/2 C Milk- 1 C Water - 1 C Sugar – 1/2 t Salt – to taste C

Hummus

How can I even dream of having a Pita bread without this yummy creamy dip --> Hummus of course. :) Like many other cuisines, Mediterranean was also introduced to me by my hubby dear. He loves Hummus and now, me too :D And thats how I ended trying to make it at home. Ingredients Yogurt - 1/4 C Garbanzo Beans / Chick Peas - 2 C Tahini (Sesame Seed Paste) - 1/2 C Lemon Juice - 1/2 C Garlic cloves - 3 Salt - 1/2 t Citric acid - 1/4 t Water - 2 T Mint Leaves - a few For garnishing Parsley - 2 T Cayenne Pepper or Paprika - 1 t Olive Oil - 1/4 C Method   In a food processor, add the garbonzo beans, garlic, lemon juice and salt, blend until smooth.  Next add yogurt, tahini, water, citric acid and mint leaves. Spread the hummus in a plate and garnish with parsley, cayenne pepper and olive oil. Serve with pita bread.

The Kitchen Affaire turns One :)

The afternoon breeze and the sound of rustling leaves is so soothing. So here I sit, enjoying this change of weather, to pen memories of last year. Gosh!! I cant believe that - The Kitchen Affaire; is turning "One". :) Time does fly. Last year has been very eventful. An year that changed my title from: a carefree mommy's gal to an "adorable" ("A" would not agree with this!! hi hi) wife; an IT engineer to a house-wife;  and a huge move from my home in Kerala (India) to a new home in Houston (U.S.A). It feels like all of this happened in a blink of an eye. All this change wouldn't have sunk in so easily if not for my hubby dear. :)   Starting this blog was not impromptu. I used to blog during my college days. But this time I wanted a blog meant only for my cooking experiments or challenges. After settling down in our lovely apartment, I slowly started my cooking experiments. Initially I would jot all of it in a notebook. Then I decided not to a