Skip to main content

Pita Bread & Hummus - A Mediterranean Night




We love Mediterranean food. After Thai and Italian, Mediterranean wins our vote :) Well, I am not sure of this order though. :) Fadi's and Kasra are our current favorite Mediterranean eat outs. We are yet to try other new places. Nothing can beat the rich and creamy Hummus at Kasra. Nor can anyone beat the awesome Lentil Soup from Fadi's. But friends, if you think someone can, do let us know. We would loveee to try it out :) 



So today, I was all determined to turn the first night of the long weekend into a Mediterranean night.  I was all pumped up to cook a perfect spread. ahem ahem. Or at least a near to perfect spread. hi hi. ;) Cmon guys, it did turn out good. :) In fact, I successfully made Pita Bread, Tahini paste and Hummus. Whistle whistle!!! :) And the yummy spread was celebrated with a second round of wine ;)

Here is the recipe for you guys out there :) All thanks to this Mediterranean website - > DedeMed.

Ingredients
  • Flour - 3 C + 1/2 C for kneading
  • Salt - 1 1/2 t
  • Warm water - 1 C
  • Yeast - 1 Packet (7gms)
  • Sugar - 1 t
  • Warm water - 1/2 C
  • Olive Oil




Method
  • In a small bowl mix yeast, sugar and warm water.
  • Allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes.
  • In a large bowl mix flour with salt and make a well in the middle. 
  • Slowly stir in yeast mix until well combined. 
  • In another bowl, add olive oil and spread all over to keep dough from sticking.
  • Place dough in the oiled bowl, cover with a towel or plate, and allow it to sit for 3 hours in a warm place. 
  • After 3 hours the dough will have risen.
  • Sprinkle flour on to table surface and knead dough for a couple of minutes.
  • Keep adding flour to surface to keep dough from sticking while you knead. 
  • Form dough into small balls and let sit in a plate for 10 more minutes (I skipped this step :D). 
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees. 
  • Roll our balls to 1/8 inch thick circular shapes and place on the flat cookie sheet or pan.
  • Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until lightly brown and dough puffs up. 
  • Yummy Pita bread ready to be devoured. :)

Comments

  1. Super looking pita bread...Love the dinner combo...yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pita looks super good.. home made is the best..:)
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what a night that be ...looks yum ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this looks reall good !! When u r surrounded with so many packets of cheap pita breads, i never got the motivation to try baking it actually..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super looking pita bread... looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. was looking for a good recipe for pita. got it,thanks to you :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shahi Paneer / Indian Cottage Cheese In Creamy Gravy

Shahi Paneer is a very popular dish in India. Shahi means "Royal". Shahi Paneer is a part of the " Mughlai " cuisine. "Mughlai" cuisine was developed in the kitchens of the Mughal Empire . This cuisine is always famous for its distinct aroma consisting of whole spices. Gosh, I am feeling hungry! :D Paneer is one of my all-time favorites. :) I just love Paneer. :D And so I am always in search of new paneer recipes. And here is another one from the lovely Aipi of US Masala . :D Thanks to her awesome recipes. I keep going back to check out all of them. I am always sure to find something new :) Here is the recipe friends. Do try it out and let me know how you like it.. :D Ingredients Paneer, cubed – 1 C Onions, chopped – 2 Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp Garam Masala – 1/4 t Ginger -1 " pc Garlic - 3 Green chilli - 2 Asafetida/hing - a pinch Almonds - 1/4 C Cashew - 1/2 C Milk- 1 C Water - 1 C Sugar – 1/2 t Salt – to taste C

Hummus

How can I even dream of having a Pita bread without this yummy creamy dip --> Hummus of course. :) Like many other cuisines, Mediterranean was also introduced to me by my hubby dear. He loves Hummus and now, me too :D And thats how I ended trying to make it at home. Ingredients Yogurt - 1/4 C Garbanzo Beans / Chick Peas - 2 C Tahini (Sesame Seed Paste) - 1/2 C Lemon Juice - 1/2 C Garlic cloves - 3 Salt - 1/2 t Citric acid - 1/4 t Water - 2 T Mint Leaves - a few For garnishing Parsley - 2 T Cayenne Pepper or Paprika - 1 t Olive Oil - 1/4 C Method   In a food processor, add the garbonzo beans, garlic, lemon juice and salt, blend until smooth.  Next add yogurt, tahini, water, citric acid and mint leaves. Spread the hummus in a plate and garnish with parsley, cayenne pepper and olive oil. Serve with pita bread.

The Kitchen Affaire turns One :)

The afternoon breeze and the sound of rustling leaves is so soothing. So here I sit, enjoying this change of weather, to pen memories of last year. Gosh!! I cant believe that - The Kitchen Affaire; is turning "One". :) Time does fly. Last year has been very eventful. An year that changed my title from: a carefree mommy's gal to an "adorable" ("A" would not agree with this!! hi hi) wife; an IT engineer to a house-wife;  and a huge move from my home in Kerala (India) to a new home in Houston (U.S.A). It feels like all of this happened in a blink of an eye. All this change wouldn't have sunk in so easily if not for my hubby dear. :)   Starting this blog was not impromptu. I used to blog during my college days. But this time I wanted a blog meant only for my cooking experiments or challenges. After settling down in our lovely apartment, I slowly started my cooking experiments. Initially I would jot all of it in a notebook. Then I decided not to a