Skip to main content

Gulab Jamun

We love Gulab Jamun. Even better if its home-made. :D  I wanted to make it from scratch. Not using the ready-made mix. And thats when I came across a couple of great recipes online. And finally ended up mixing and matching the recipes. Anyhow the GJs came out awesome. I took some to my workplace too. They loved it and so did we :D Check out the recipes guys!


  • Ingredients

  • 1 C dry milk powder
  • 3 T all-purpose flour
  • 2 T ghee (clarified butter), melted
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 C warm milk
  • 1 pinch ground cardamom
  • 1 quart vegetable oil for deep frying
  • 1 1/4 C white sugar
  • 7 fluid ounces water
  • 1 pinch ground cardamom




Method
  • In a large bowl, stir together the milk powder, flour, baking powder, and cardamom. 
  • Mix in the melted ghee, then pour in the milk, and continue to mix until well blended. 
  • Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
  • In a large skillet, stir together the sugar, water, rose water and a pinch of cardamom. 
  • Bring to a boil, and simmer for just a minute. Set aside.
  • Fill a large heavy skillet halfway with oil. 
  • Heat over medium heat for at least 5 minutes. 
  • Knead the dough, and form into about 20 small balls. 
  • Reduce the heat of the oil to low, and fry the balls in one or two batches. 
  • After about 5 minutes, they will start to float, and expand to twice their original size, but the color will not change much. 
  • After the jamun float, increase the heat to medium, and turn them frequently until light golden.
  • Remove from the oil to paper towels using a slotted spoon, and allow to cool. 
  • Drain on paper towels and allow to cool slightly.
  • Place the balls into the skillet with the syrup. 
  • Simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes, squeezing them gently to soak up the syrup. 
  • Serve immediately, or chill.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shahi Paneer / Indian Cottage Cheese In Creamy Gravy

Shahi Paneer is a very popular dish in India. Shahi means "Royal". Shahi Paneer is a part of the " Mughlai " cuisine. "Mughlai" cuisine was developed in the kitchens of the Mughal Empire . This cuisine is always famous for its distinct aroma consisting of whole spices. Gosh, I am feeling hungry! :D Paneer is one of my all-time favorites. :) I just love Paneer. :D And so I am always in search of new paneer recipes. And here is another one from the lovely Aipi of US Masala . :D Thanks to her awesome recipes. I keep going back to check out all of them. I am always sure to find something new :) Here is the recipe friends. Do try it out and let me know how you like it.. :D Ingredients Paneer, cubed – 1 C Onions, chopped – 2 Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp Garam Masala – 1/4 t Ginger -1 " pc Garlic - 3 Green chilli - 2 Asafetida/hing - a pinch Almonds - 1/4 C Cashew - 1/2 C Milk- 1 C Water - 1 C Sugar – 1/2 t Salt – to taste C

Hummus

How can I even dream of having a Pita bread without this yummy creamy dip --> Hummus of course. :) Like many other cuisines, Mediterranean was also introduced to me by my hubby dear. He loves Hummus and now, me too :D And thats how I ended trying to make it at home. Ingredients Yogurt - 1/4 C Garbanzo Beans / Chick Peas - 2 C Tahini (Sesame Seed Paste) - 1/2 C Lemon Juice - 1/2 C Garlic cloves - 3 Salt - 1/2 t Citric acid - 1/4 t Water - 2 T Mint Leaves - a few For garnishing Parsley - 2 T Cayenne Pepper or Paprika - 1 t Olive Oil - 1/4 C Method   In a food processor, add the garbonzo beans, garlic, lemon juice and salt, blend until smooth.  Next add yogurt, tahini, water, citric acid and mint leaves. Spread the hummus in a plate and garnish with parsley, cayenne pepper and olive oil. Serve with pita bread.

The Kitchen Affaire turns One :)

The afternoon breeze and the sound of rustling leaves is so soothing. So here I sit, enjoying this change of weather, to pen memories of last year. Gosh!! I cant believe that - The Kitchen Affaire; is turning "One". :) Time does fly. Last year has been very eventful. An year that changed my title from: a carefree mommy's gal to an "adorable" ("A" would not agree with this!! hi hi) wife; an IT engineer to a house-wife;  and a huge move from my home in Kerala (India) to a new home in Houston (U.S.A). It feels like all of this happened in a blink of an eye. All this change wouldn't have sunk in so easily if not for my hubby dear. :)   Starting this blog was not impromptu. I used to blog during my college days. But this time I wanted a blog meant only for my cooking experiments or challenges. After settling down in our lovely apartment, I slowly started my cooking experiments. Initially I would jot all of it in a notebook. Then I decided not to a