Skip to main content

Broccoli Parantha/Paratha - Broccoli Flat Bread

I am sure a lot of you guys out there would have tried this. I tried it for the first time today and it came out fine. :D I was so hungry and I wanted to try a new recipe. I went through the fridge and found broccoli hidden behind the pile of carrots.




And as I thought of different dishes that I could try with Broccoli, I jumped on the Paratha option. I did not have the patience to dig for a recipe. So tried my own. And hey gals. It tasted good :)

Ingredients

For the dough
  • Wheat flour – 1 C
  • Water/Milk – ½ C
  • Salt – to taste

Broccoli Filling
  • Broccoli, chopped – 1 C
  • Onion, chopped – ½
  • Cumin seeds - ½ t
  • Green chilli, chopped - 1
  • Cilantro, chopped – 1 bunch
  • Garam masala powder – ½ t
  • Amchoor powder - ½ t
  • Salt – to taste
  • Oil – 2 T



Method

For the dough
  • Mix flour, salt and water/milk to make soft dough.
  • Cover it with a damp cloth.
  • Keep it aside for 5 to 10 mins.

Filling
  • Heat a pan with oil.
  • When hot, add cumin seeds.
  • Once the seeds splutter, add onions and stir well.
  • Continue stirring till they turn transparent and soft.
  • Add green chilies, cilantro, garam masala powder, amchoor powder and salt.
  • Add the chopped broccoli and stir well.
  • Allow it to become tender and mix well.
  • Once tender, remove from fire and keep aside.

For the parantha
  • Divide the dough into 6 equal parts.
  • Roll the dough into circles.
  • Take 2 tablespoon full of broccoli mix and place on the center of the rolled dough.
  • Seal the broccoli mix by pulling the edges of the rolled dough together to the center.
  • Repeat the same process for rest of the dough balls.
  • Keep them so for a minute or two.
  • Heat another pan on medium high.
  • Meanwhile, roll the dough balls in wheat flour.
  • Start rolling by keeping the sealed end up.
  • Be sure to roll the ball lightly to, not too thin, circles (do check the pictures for an idea).
  • Sometimes the dough sticks to the rolling pin. Sprinkle a little flour over that area and continue rolling.
  • Place the paratha on the pan.
  • Flip (using a spatula) when you see it puff lightly around the circumference.
  • After flipping, you will see golden-brown spots on this side of the paratha.
  • Spread 1 t of oil on the paratha and flip again.
  • Flip again and press the paratha using the spatula.
  • Make sure that the golden-brown spots appear on both the sides of the paratha.
  • Once you see this, remove from pan.

Parathas are best when eaten fresh. :D Yummy yummy.. They go great with yogurt.
And heyy.. I am sending it out to Vardhini of Vardhini's Kitchen and Kalyani of Whats Cooking for their event Healthy Lunchbox Ideas - Broccoli.


HLI - Broccoli



Ain't it sweet of them to organize this event? :D  Cheers to them!! Healthy broccoli parathas for lunch. I think it would be ideal for kids. What do you think gals? :) In fact I was not a great Broccoli fan. Well, now I am :)

Comments

  1. Very delicious n healthy paranthas, wonderful recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to talk a friend into flatbread for dinner next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. incidentalcooksumanJune 29, 2011 at 1:31 PM

    Paratha looks great, healthy and delicious indeed..nice recipe..thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Healthy and delicious paratha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is unusual, never made paratha with broccoli before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow..thats delicious parathas with broccoli..I too have a broccoli recipe in my blog today,please visit when you find time..
    First time to your blog..Wonderful recipes,dear..
    Thanx,
    julie
    http://juls-tryntaste.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had a paratha with broccoli before, so I'm definitely intrigued by this! Going to have to bookmark this for later =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice combination...I love parattas n broccoli....So got to give it a try soon

    http://www.panchamrutham.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting idea!! Easy way to have broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very delicious and healthy paratha. Great preparation.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum ....I love this too ....healthy n yummy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Parathas can't get any better or healthier than this, looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Broccoli is one of our favorites. And parantha with it would be even better. Love your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds wonderful, healthy & tasty looking parathas :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow great idea,,,u know one thing i am not a big fan of broccoli but i seem to like everythg made from broccoli...love the parathas

    ReplyDelete
  16. How smart to add broccoli to the bread. I have never seen that done before. It looks amazing. i love learning new tings from you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a twist in normal paratha! Your brocolli paratha rocks!!
    http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vow broccoli Paratha sounds delicious and tasty. Nice space dear, glad to follow you. Thanx for visiting my space and dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've come across different parathas but one using broccoli is a first! Sounds wonderful and healthy too - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Broccoli-filled bread!? How wonderful, would love to try this :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. We all know that stuffed parathas are a fav with most ~ I just wonder why no one has come up with such a healthy n delish brocolli stuffing ~ a brilliant idea n a must try :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this version of Parathas with stuffed Brocolli....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yum! What a clever way to get my little one to eat broccoli! As for me I love broccoli, so this paratha sounds amazing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's a cool idea. Hearing it for the first time and kicking myself why I did not think of it before. Thanks for sharing the recipe Gopika.

    Let's Cook: School Break-Time Snacks

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love broccoli and this sounds like one delicious paratha!

    ReplyDelete
  26. broccoli filling in parathas looks yum ! good one

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks so yummy and healthy broccoli paratha.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Healthy paratha with a lovely twist

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shahi Paneer / Indian Cottage Cheese In Creamy Gravy

Shahi Paneer is a very popular dish in India. Shahi means "Royal". Shahi Paneer is a part of the " Mughlai " cuisine. "Mughlai" cuisine was developed in the kitchens of the Mughal Empire . This cuisine is always famous for its distinct aroma consisting of whole spices. Gosh, I am feeling hungry! :D Paneer is one of my all-time favorites. :) I just love Paneer. :D And so I am always in search of new paneer recipes. And here is another one from the lovely Aipi of US Masala . :D Thanks to her awesome recipes. I keep going back to check out all of them. I am always sure to find something new :) Here is the recipe friends. Do try it out and let me know how you like it.. :D Ingredients Paneer, cubed – 1 C Onions, chopped – 2 Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp Garam Masala – 1/4 t Ginger -1 " pc Garlic - 3 Green chilli - 2 Asafetida/hing - a pinch Almonds - 1/4 C Cashew - 1/2 C Milk- 1 C Water - 1 C Sugar – 1/2 t Salt – to taste C

Hummus

How can I even dream of having a Pita bread without this yummy creamy dip --> Hummus of course. :) Like many other cuisines, Mediterranean was also introduced to me by my hubby dear. He loves Hummus and now, me too :D And thats how I ended trying to make it at home. Ingredients Yogurt - 1/4 C Garbanzo Beans / Chick Peas - 2 C Tahini (Sesame Seed Paste) - 1/2 C Lemon Juice - 1/2 C Garlic cloves - 3 Salt - 1/2 t Citric acid - 1/4 t Water - 2 T Mint Leaves - a few For garnishing Parsley - 2 T Cayenne Pepper or Paprika - 1 t Olive Oil - 1/4 C Method   In a food processor, add the garbonzo beans, garlic, lemon juice and salt, blend until smooth.  Next add yogurt, tahini, water, citric acid and mint leaves. Spread the hummus in a plate and garnish with parsley, cayenne pepper and olive oil. Serve with pita bread.

The Kitchen Affaire turns One :)

The afternoon breeze and the sound of rustling leaves is so soothing. So here I sit, enjoying this change of weather, to pen memories of last year. Gosh!! I cant believe that - The Kitchen Affaire; is turning "One". :) Time does fly. Last year has been very eventful. An year that changed my title from: a carefree mommy's gal to an "adorable" ("A" would not agree with this!! hi hi) wife; an IT engineer to a house-wife;  and a huge move from my home in Kerala (India) to a new home in Houston (U.S.A). It feels like all of this happened in a blink of an eye. All this change wouldn't have sunk in so easily if not for my hubby dear. :)   Starting this blog was not impromptu. I used to blog during my college days. But this time I wanted a blog meant only for my cooking experiments or challenges. After settling down in our lovely apartment, I slowly started my cooking experiments. Initially I would jot all of it in a notebook. Then I decided not to a