Skip to main content

Oats Dosa / Oats Crepe

A and I enjoy trying out new dishes and cuisines. Thanks to our food-loving friends, we get to know reviews on the new restaurants (and the ol' ones - A knows them by-heart! ).

There was a tin-full of oats on the kitchen shelf from months! I had tasted them once and had had enough. Last day, when A was "raiding" the kitchen he found the tin. And gave me the idea of trying out Oats dosa. :D  A great idea :)



The best part of making oats dosa is that it is very easy. The process is the same as making the regular dosa. I am sure most of  you would have made this and know all about it. Still, it feels good to share it with my friends here at the blogosphere. :)

Ingredients

  • Long grain rice - 1 C
  • Instant Oats - 3 C
  • Split Urad dal - 1 C
  • Fenugreek seeds - 1 T
  • Salt - to taste




Method

For the batter

  • Wash the rice and urad dal seperately.
  • Soak the long grain rice overnight or for 8 hours.
  • Soak urad dal, fenugreek seeds and oats an hour before you are ready to grind.
  • Grind these to a grainy kind of paste - add water as required.
  • Move the ground mix to a large mixing bowl and add enough water to make a batter.
  • Keep the batter in a warm place for 8 hrs or overnight.
  • After fermentation, stir the batter very well and add salt to your taste.
  • Now, the batter is ready to use.


For preparing the dosa

  • Heat a non-stick tawa or pan on medium high.
  • Meanwhile, add 5 T of oil into a small bowl and keep aside.
  • Fold a paper towel into a wad and keep aside.
  • Once the pan is hot, dip the paper wad into the bowl of oil and rub it over the surface of the pan.
  • Fill the ladle with the batter and pour into onto the center of the pan.
  • Swish and spread the batter in circular motion using the ladle, till the ladle is empty.
  • Immediately, drizzle little oil on the edges of the dosa using the wad or a spoon (Optional - this step makes a lot of difference to the taste, but adds calories too ) :D
  • Once the upper surface of the dosa looks cooked, flip it.
  • Allow to cook for 30 seconds and flip again.
  • Fold the dosa into half.
  • Serve with yummy coconut chutney.

Hurray!!! Oats dosa is ready. Healthy and yummy :)

Comments

  1. Hey hi! Thanks for asking :-) Felt good :-) I am doing good. Just haven't been able to update much these days.Guess too lazy! ;-) How have you been doing? Will be updating pretty soon. Keep visiting my space :-)

    We love to try new food too.. Its fun to get to taste different cuisine right!
    Oats Dosai looks perfect .. very healthy meal . I have not tried dosa with oats. I am just drinking oats porridge and I read your post. :-) Will def try and make dosa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. healthy soft looking dosa looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm happy that your husband (hope I'm not wrong) found the oats tin. this way you ended up sharing this unique crepes.
    thanks for sharing and thank you for your lovely words left on guest post on Nami @ Just One Cookbook blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very healthy one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oat dosa !! that sounds like a super healthy dosa. So far there is not a single variation of dosa that i didn't like .. so i am guessing will like this too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried dosa, but looks good! You make it perfect smooth texture and cooked it nice golden color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love such fusion recipes and where you just add things and they enhance nutrition or flavor, love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious, one more treasured recipe for oats. Thanks Gopika for sharing.
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great whole grain dosa recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so yummy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen this but I definitely want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. loved this healthy breakfast

    http://www.panchamrutham.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love a couple of tasty and healthy dosa! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. cant wait to try ur tempting healthy version..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  15. Healthy and delicious dosai recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Gopika, oats dosas look very soft...must have bene very tasty too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. A yummy recipe specially for health conscious people.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shahi Paneer / Indian Cottage Cheese In Creamy Gravy

Shahi Paneer is a very popular dish in India. Shahi means "Royal". Shahi Paneer is a part of the " Mughlai " cuisine. "Mughlai" cuisine was developed in the kitchens of the Mughal Empire . This cuisine is always famous for its distinct aroma consisting of whole spices. Gosh, I am feeling hungry! :D Paneer is one of my all-time favorites. :) I just love Paneer. :D And so I am always in search of new paneer recipes. And here is another one from the lovely Aipi of US Masala . :D Thanks to her awesome recipes. I keep going back to check out all of them. I am always sure to find something new :) Here is the recipe friends. Do try it out and let me know how you like it.. :D Ingredients Paneer, cubed – 1 C Onions, chopped – 2 Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp Garam Masala – 1/4 t Ginger -1 " pc Garlic - 3 Green chilli - 2 Asafetida/hing - a pinch Almonds - 1/4 C Cashew - 1/2 C Milk- 1 C Water - 1 C Sugar – 1/2 t Salt – to taste C

Hummus

How can I even dream of having a Pita bread without this yummy creamy dip --> Hummus of course. :) Like many other cuisines, Mediterranean was also introduced to me by my hubby dear. He loves Hummus and now, me too :D And thats how I ended trying to make it at home. Ingredients Yogurt - 1/4 C Garbanzo Beans / Chick Peas - 2 C Tahini (Sesame Seed Paste) - 1/2 C Lemon Juice - 1/2 C Garlic cloves - 3 Salt - 1/2 t Citric acid - 1/4 t Water - 2 T Mint Leaves - a few For garnishing Parsley - 2 T Cayenne Pepper or Paprika - 1 t Olive Oil - 1/4 C Method   In a food processor, add the garbonzo beans, garlic, lemon juice and salt, blend until smooth.  Next add yogurt, tahini, water, citric acid and mint leaves. Spread the hummus in a plate and garnish with parsley, cayenne pepper and olive oil. Serve with pita bread.

The Kitchen Affaire turns One :)

The afternoon breeze and the sound of rustling leaves is so soothing. So here I sit, enjoying this change of weather, to pen memories of last year. Gosh!! I cant believe that - The Kitchen Affaire; is turning "One". :) Time does fly. Last year has been very eventful. An year that changed my title from: a carefree mommy's gal to an "adorable" ("A" would not agree with this!! hi hi) wife; an IT engineer to a house-wife;  and a huge move from my home in Kerala (India) to a new home in Houston (U.S.A). It feels like all of this happened in a blink of an eye. All this change wouldn't have sunk in so easily if not for my hubby dear. :)   Starting this blog was not impromptu. I used to blog during my college days. But this time I wanted a blog meant only for my cooking experiments or challenges. After settling down in our lovely apartment, I slowly started my cooking experiments. Initially I would jot all of it in a notebook. Then I decided not to a