Skip to main content

Vegetable Cutlet

I just love the aroma of fresh snacks and bakes that surrounds a bakery. This reminds me of my favorite bakeries at Kerala. They are KR Bakers at Cochin and Famous Bakery at Kasargod. I miss the mouth-watering taste of cutlets, puffs and egg rolls.

All these thoughts made me hungry and I was determined to make cutlets :D I did not have this much determination even during school exams. :D




This is one awesome snack… Try it out :)

Ingredients
  •  Potato - 2
  • Beetroot - 1 1/2
  • Onion, chopped - 1 C
  • Ginger - 1" pc
  • Garlic - 1 t
  • Green Chilli, chopped - 2
  • Pepper Powder - 1 t
  • Garam Masala - 1 t
  • Egg - 2
  • Bread Crumbs - 1 C
  • Salt - to taste
  • Oil - for frying
  • Water - enough for boiling






Method

 For the Filling
  • Peel the potatoes and beetroot.
  • Boil them together for 8 mins (I microwaved) or until they turn soft.
  • Remove from oven.
  • Mash and allow them to cool.
  • Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan.
  • Add all ingredients from onion to green chilli and stir well.
  • Continue cooking till the onions turn transparent and soft.
  • Add mashed potato and beetroot to this mix and stir well.
  • Sprinkle pepper powder, garam masala and salt.
  • Stir well for 5-10 mins.
  • Remove from fire and allow the mix to cool.

For frying

  • Meanwhile, beat the eggs and pour on a plate.
  • Move the breadcrumbs to a plate as well.
  • Heat a deep bottomed pan with oil to deep fry.
  • Make sure to heat it in medium high else the chances of the cutlet getting burned is high.
  • Take small portions of the potato-beet mix and turn them into desired shapes.
  • You can impress your partner with a heart shape
  • (I tried and seeing my heart shape, "A" asks me - "Is that a new geometrical shape? "- huhh.. so much for love! :D)
  • (Happens when you are in a hurry to eat the cutlets rather than bother about the shape.)
  • Once you get the desired shape, dip them in the beaten egg and then dunk it on the bread crumbs.
  • Fry till both the sides of the cutlet turn a dark brown color.
  • Remove from oil.
  • I usually keep them over the paper towels so that the extra oil is absorbed by it (Basically, makes me feel its a lil' healthier! What a joke!! ;P)

Try it out friends.. You will love this :)

Comments

  1. Looks delish .....kids delight for sure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cutlets are all an time fav :) .. Loved ur veg version.. planning to post my chicken cutlets tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the same dish from different cultures. The different ingredients which make it regional but the same concept.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your determination. I was soo determined to make a certain kind of bread last month and it just wouldn't cooperate. I need to try again. Way to go on making these work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love these beetroot cutlets, I also use peanuts which complements it perfectly, this happens to be one of my fav snacks

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cutlets look yummy dear. Love the use of beetroot .. it gives that nice color and healthy too.

    I am having a giveaway in my blog. Do check it out when you get a chance.

    Vardhini
    Check out my 100th post giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cutlets looks nice and yummy. Love the addition of beetroot .

    ReplyDelete
  8. cutlets looks so perfect n crispy...never added beets n this recipe is healthy too...thanx for stopping by my space n rendering sweet comments...thank you dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cutlets look so good, tempting & ready to be devoured!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tempting cutlets....crisp and delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  11. your is now making me hungry and asking me to prepare this Wonderful recipe.

    Cheers,
    Uma
    http://umaskitchenexperiments.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is totally droolworthy recipe....u hav a gr8 space here...

    thanx for visiting my blog...tc...enjoy...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks so crisp and delicious! My fav tea time snack..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vegetable cutlets is my favorite. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Irresistible and delicious cutlets.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love cutlets and your cutlets look so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These cutlets sound mighty tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love to have this yummy cutlets for evening tea...I used to make the same way...

    http://www.panchamrutham.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow adipoli cutlet...ennikyum vennum

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yummy cutlets, reminds me of my childhood days in Pondicherry :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You making me so hungry. I love that with hot tea..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cutlets are my all time favorite. Your recipes is something very similar to way i make them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks yummy and crispy. Nice recipe

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks so delicious and crispy loved the crust!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great idea! I love cutlets and doing this with veggies is super easy and genius. I bet they tasted sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  26. my fav....looks perfect n crispy

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow, that looks super delicious and such a great appetizer or snack, love it anytime :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would love to have that cutlet with some hot ginger tea :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shahi Paneer / Indian Cottage Cheese In Creamy Gravy

Shahi Paneer is a very popular dish in India. Shahi means "Royal". Shahi Paneer is a part of the " Mughlai " cuisine. "Mughlai" cuisine was developed in the kitchens of the Mughal Empire . This cuisine is always famous for its distinct aroma consisting of whole spices. Gosh, I am feeling hungry! :D Paneer is one of my all-time favorites. :) I just love Paneer. :D And so I am always in search of new paneer recipes. And here is another one from the lovely Aipi of US Masala . :D Thanks to her awesome recipes. I keep going back to check out all of them. I am always sure to find something new :) Here is the recipe friends. Do try it out and let me know how you like it.. :D Ingredients Paneer, cubed – 1 C Onions, chopped – 2 Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp Garam Masala – 1/4 t Ginger -1 " pc Garlic - 3 Green chilli - 2 Asafetida/hing - a pinch Almonds - 1/4 C Cashew - 1/2 C Milk- 1 C Water - 1 C Sugar – 1/2 t Salt – to taste C

Hummus

How can I even dream of having a Pita bread without this yummy creamy dip --> Hummus of course. :) Like many other cuisines, Mediterranean was also introduced to me by my hubby dear. He loves Hummus and now, me too :D And thats how I ended trying to make it at home. Ingredients Yogurt - 1/4 C Garbanzo Beans / Chick Peas - 2 C Tahini (Sesame Seed Paste) - 1/2 C Lemon Juice - 1/2 C Garlic cloves - 3 Salt - 1/2 t Citric acid - 1/4 t Water - 2 T Mint Leaves - a few For garnishing Parsley - 2 T Cayenne Pepper or Paprika - 1 t Olive Oil - 1/4 C Method   In a food processor, add the garbonzo beans, garlic, lemon juice and salt, blend until smooth.  Next add yogurt, tahini, water, citric acid and mint leaves. Spread the hummus in a plate and garnish with parsley, cayenne pepper and olive oil. Serve with pita bread.

The Kitchen Affaire turns One :)

The afternoon breeze and the sound of rustling leaves is so soothing. So here I sit, enjoying this change of weather, to pen memories of last year. Gosh!! I cant believe that - The Kitchen Affaire; is turning "One". :) Time does fly. Last year has been very eventful. An year that changed my title from: a carefree mommy's gal to an "adorable" ("A" would not agree with this!! hi hi) wife; an IT engineer to a house-wife;  and a huge move from my home in Kerala (India) to a new home in Houston (U.S.A). It feels like all of this happened in a blink of an eye. All this change wouldn't have sunk in so easily if not for my hubby dear. :)   Starting this blog was not impromptu. I used to blog during my college days. But this time I wanted a blog meant only for my cooking experiments or challenges. After settling down in our lovely apartment, I slowly started my cooking experiments. Initially I would jot all of it in a notebook. Then I decided not to a