Skip to main content

Croissant - only if you want it easy and quick ;)

As I write this post I am reminded of my dear friend Gaya3's (My Pressure Cooker) comment about going "Baking-crazy". Looks like I am going "Bread making-crazy". :D




Both me and hubby love Croissants. Croissants and scrambled eggs are one of our favorite breakfast items. I have wanted to make croissants from the time I saw this movie of Meryl Streep - "Its Complicated". I love her acting and poise. I think she looks classy. :) Especially in "Devil Wears Prada". :)

The croissants that I have made are not the authentic soft ones. These are a bit more crunch-ier, but they taste as awesome as the regular croissants and can be made quickly too :) I was concerned about the amount of butter used in making the regular croissants. But this recipe is perfect as it uses just minimal butter and still gives us the yummy croissants we like.

Ingredients
  • Water - 1/2 C
  • Evaporated milk - 1/3 C
  • Butter, room temperature - 3 T
  • Egg - 2
  • Salt - 1 1/2 t
  • Sugar - 3 T
  • All purpose flour - 3 C
  • Active dry yeast - 2 1/4 t
 


Method
  • In a bowl, add the yeast, salt, sugar, and 1 C of flour. Keep aside.
  • In another bowl, mix water and milk. Warm up the mixture until it is between 120 and 130 degrees F.
  • Grease another bowl with oil and keep aside.
  • In a mixing bowl, add the dry mix, then the milk -water mix, and then the butter.
  • Gradually beat both the mixtures very well (up-to 4 mins).
  • Add an egg and continue beating the mix for another min.
  • Slowly add the rest of the dough and knead the dough till it becomes smooth and elastic.
  • Once the dough is ready, place it in the greased bowl and rotate so that the oil greases the dough too.
  • Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
  • After the resting time, flour the rolling surface and the pin.
  • Knead the dough for a min (this will remove air bubbles, if any).
  • Divide the dough in 3 parts.
  • Roll each part into a 14 inch circle.
  • Cut the dough (as shown in the figure) using a sharp knife.


Cutting the dough


  • Roll each piece, with the wide part, towards the point.
  • Continue this process for all the pieces.
  • Place them onto a foil-lined sheet.
  • Make sure that the end point of the piece faces down while placing it on the sheet.
  • Curve the pieces into a crescent.
  • Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Keep aside the croissants for 15 more minutes.
  • Beat the untouched egg with a teaspoon of water and brush the croissants (gives a glazing effect).
  • Place the sheet with the croissants in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
  • When the croissants turn a golden brown shade, remove from the sheet and allow it to cool.
  • Yummy croissants are ready to be served. :)

Comments

  1. This looks very nice...quick and delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. that glaze on top is looking nice and I am sure the crunchy ones will taste great too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want it ...looks fab ....you have done a great job

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks delicious!!.i love croissants 2...i like the less-butter-bit..i am gonna try ths recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids LOVE croissant and they request to put chocolate chips in it. =) I always buy store bought dough... time for a change, huh, especially if this is easy and quick! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww Gopz..thank u so much for the mention dear !!! So glad to have found u in the blogosphere. I louvvvv croissants especially the chocolate ones. And I ve been dreading to make croissants due to the amount of butter. This seems great !! U ve explained it with great clarity as well. Bookmarked..! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love croissants, but they are a little labor intensive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. many thanks for visiting my blog. i am also very keen on learning how to make pastries, now i can learn to do this type of croissant from you. thanks for that.. would be great with smoked salmon, veggies and a slice of cheeeeeese :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks cute. Nice presentation. I love croissants..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! I love croissants too! These look sooo good!!! I wish I could have one to go with my breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so tempting .Liked your presentation

    ReplyDelete
  12. simple,loved it!!never tried.....
    neat presentation......

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shahi Paneer / Indian Cottage Cheese In Creamy Gravy

Shahi Paneer is a very popular dish in India. Shahi means "Royal". Shahi Paneer is a part of the " Mughlai " cuisine. "Mughlai" cuisine was developed in the kitchens of the Mughal Empire . This cuisine is always famous for its distinct aroma consisting of whole spices. Gosh, I am feeling hungry! :D Paneer is one of my all-time favorites. :) I just love Paneer. :D And so I am always in search of new paneer recipes. And here is another one from the lovely Aipi of US Masala . :D Thanks to her awesome recipes. I keep going back to check out all of them. I am always sure to find something new :) Here is the recipe friends. Do try it out and let me know how you like it.. :D Ingredients Paneer, cubed – 1 C Onions, chopped – 2 Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp Garam Masala – 1/4 t Ginger -1 " pc Garlic - 3 Green chilli - 2 Asafetida/hing - a pinch Almonds - 1/4 C Cashew - 1/2 C Milk- 1 C Water - 1 C Sugar – 1/2 t Salt – to taste C

Hummus

How can I even dream of having a Pita bread without this yummy creamy dip --> Hummus of course. :) Like many other cuisines, Mediterranean was also introduced to me by my hubby dear. He loves Hummus and now, me too :D And thats how I ended trying to make it at home. Ingredients Yogurt - 1/4 C Garbanzo Beans / Chick Peas - 2 C Tahini (Sesame Seed Paste) - 1/2 C Lemon Juice - 1/2 C Garlic cloves - 3 Salt - 1/2 t Citric acid - 1/4 t Water - 2 T Mint Leaves - a few For garnishing Parsley - 2 T Cayenne Pepper or Paprika - 1 t Olive Oil - 1/4 C Method   In a food processor, add the garbonzo beans, garlic, lemon juice and salt, blend until smooth.  Next add yogurt, tahini, water, citric acid and mint leaves. Spread the hummus in a plate and garnish with parsley, cayenne pepper and olive oil. Serve with pita bread.

The Kitchen Affaire turns One :)

The afternoon breeze and the sound of rustling leaves is so soothing. So here I sit, enjoying this change of weather, to pen memories of last year. Gosh!! I cant believe that - The Kitchen Affaire; is turning "One". :) Time does fly. Last year has been very eventful. An year that changed my title from: a carefree mommy's gal to an "adorable" ("A" would not agree with this!! hi hi) wife; an IT engineer to a house-wife;  and a huge move from my home in Kerala (India) to a new home in Houston (U.S.A). It feels like all of this happened in a blink of an eye. All this change wouldn't have sunk in so easily if not for my hubby dear. :)   Starting this blog was not impromptu. I used to blog during my college days. But this time I wanted a blog meant only for my cooking experiments or challenges. After settling down in our lovely apartment, I slowly started my cooking experiments. Initially I would jot all of it in a notebook. Then I decided not to a