Skip to main content

Dahi Vada / Lentil Dumplings in Yogurt & Tamarind Sauce

I just love all kinds of fried snacks. :-) Well, I love everything about food. So here I was blog hopping and I came across this lovely blog of Arundhuti called My Saffron Kitchen. And I found what I was looking for, the ultimate recipe for Dahi Vada. Thanks a ton dear :-D

Dahi Vada is one of the most popular varieties of Indian Chaat. A yummy snack that everybody loves to relish, especially during a hot summer day. Dahi Vada is made in different ways across different parts of India. South Indians make it without adding Tamarind Sauce and call it "Thairu Vada". I love both the styles. :) Whats not to love?



Yesterday, heat was at a record high of 101 F!!! Can you imagine that? I shouldn't be complaining a lot as I have lived in cities (in India) where it was more hot and humid. Those were my high school days. A time when heat or no heat, life was all about fun, friends and food :D 

Dahi Vada is a combination of lentil dumpling and yogurt topped with tamarind sauce. I love the tangy-sweetish taste of the tamarind sauce. A bite of Dahi Vada on a summer day is like eating pastries after you diet!! :D Try it out folks. You will love it. I did.. :D



Ingredients

For tamarind sauce/chutney
  • Tamarind Pulp - 3 T
  • Jaggery - 4 T
  • Sugar - 4 T
  • Dry Ginger Powder - 1/2 t
  • Roasted Cumin Powder - 1/2 t
  • Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 t
  • Rock Salt - 1/2 t
  • Water - 1 C

For the Vada
  • Water - 3 C
  • Chaat Masala - 1/2 t, to soak the vadas

For the Yogurt/Dahi
  • Yogurt - 2 C
  • Sugar, powdered - 3 t
  • Cumin Powder, powdered - 1/2 t
  • Salt - 1/2 t
  • Red Chilli Powder - 1/4 t
  • Chaat Masala - 1/4 t
  • Coriander Leaves, chopped - 1/4 C






Method


For the tamarind chutney
  • Add all the ingredients listed for tamarind chutney in a microwave-safe bowl. 
  • Heat it in the microwave for 8 mins.
  • Stir once or twice in between.
  • Remove and keep aside for later use. 


Preparing the vada
  • Please check this link for the detailed recipe of Medhu Vada (I am the lazy to re-write :-D)
  • Allow the vadas to cool once they are fried.
  • Meanwhile, pour 3 C of water and 1/2 t chat masala into a microwave -safe bowl.
  • Heat it in the microwave for 3 mins. 
  • Soak all the vadas in this hot water for 5 mins. 
  • Remove and lightly press the vadas between your palms to remove excess water and keep aside.
  • Place the vadas in a serving dish. 
Preparing the Yogurt/Dahi
  • Beat yogurt along with powdered sugar, cumin powder and salt. 
  • Pour the spicy yogurt on the vadas evenly (be sure to cover the vadas fully).
  • Chill the vadas for sometime before serving. 
  • Before serving, sprinkle chaat masala, red chilli powder and some coriander leaves over it. 
  • Pour tamarind chutney at the end.
  • Your yummy dahi vada is ready to be served.


Comments

  1. nice vadas! and the blog's looking very fresh and easy to navigate!

    Richa @ Hobby And More Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice...reminds me of my college days where we used to get this vada on special occassions

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dumplings look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elegant looking Vadas.They tempt me like anything..cheers !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! And I LOVE tamarind chutney and yogurt together... sweet and tangy and refreshing! Just the thought makes my mouth water!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tempting vadas. I too made some dahi vadas but south Indian style. Would love to try this version next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow so good dahi vada.. with tamarind sauce so tangy..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooohh..I love dahi vada ! Nice recipe, this is on my list to try soon. Perfect for the scorching summers here !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never tried dahi vada this way...sounds very interesting n looks too tempting n yummy...would like to give it a try soon...thanx dear for sharing !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy!!!! They look so good!! Wanna dig into it right now :)
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love this... Looks so creamy n yum

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delicious and tempting dahi vadas...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This reminds me that I haven't made some dahi vadas for a while ~ they are so delicious.
    USMasala

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks yummy and delicious ... Lovely tempting pictures ... Happy to follow u ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so delicious .. i could just eat the whole plate. Now I am craving for it badly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wowwwwww.. looks so tempting and inviting.. First time here.. you have a lovely space here.. Happy to follow your blog Gopika..

    Happy Cooking :)

    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  17. First time hear,love to follow ur recipes...do visit mine if time permits.yummy vadas!!!

    www.premascook.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shahi Paneer / Indian Cottage Cheese In Creamy Gravy

Shahi Paneer is a very popular dish in India. Shahi means "Royal". Shahi Paneer is a part of the " Mughlai " cuisine. "Mughlai" cuisine was developed in the kitchens of the Mughal Empire . This cuisine is always famous for its distinct aroma consisting of whole spices. Gosh, I am feeling hungry! :D Paneer is one of my all-time favorites. :) I just love Paneer. :D And so I am always in search of new paneer recipes. And here is another one from the lovely Aipi of US Masala . :D Thanks to her awesome recipes. I keep going back to check out all of them. I am always sure to find something new :) Here is the recipe friends. Do try it out and let me know how you like it.. :D Ingredients Paneer, cubed – 1 C Onions, chopped – 2 Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp Garam Masala – 1/4 t Ginger -1 " pc Garlic - 3 Green chilli - 2 Asafetida/hing - a pinch Almonds - 1/4 C Cashew - 1/2 C Milk- 1 C Water - 1 C Sugar – 1/2 t Salt – to taste C

Hummus

How can I even dream of having a Pita bread without this yummy creamy dip --> Hummus of course. :) Like many other cuisines, Mediterranean was also introduced to me by my hubby dear. He loves Hummus and now, me too :D And thats how I ended trying to make it at home. Ingredients Yogurt - 1/4 C Garbanzo Beans / Chick Peas - 2 C Tahini (Sesame Seed Paste) - 1/2 C Lemon Juice - 1/2 C Garlic cloves - 3 Salt - 1/2 t Citric acid - 1/4 t Water - 2 T Mint Leaves - a few For garnishing Parsley - 2 T Cayenne Pepper or Paprika - 1 t Olive Oil - 1/4 C Method   In a food processor, add the garbonzo beans, garlic, lemon juice and salt, blend until smooth.  Next add yogurt, tahini, water, citric acid and mint leaves. Spread the hummus in a plate and garnish with parsley, cayenne pepper and olive oil. Serve with pita bread.

The Kitchen Affaire turns One :)

The afternoon breeze and the sound of rustling leaves is so soothing. So here I sit, enjoying this change of weather, to pen memories of last year. Gosh!! I cant believe that - The Kitchen Affaire; is turning "One". :) Time does fly. Last year has been very eventful. An year that changed my title from: a carefree mommy's gal to an "adorable" ("A" would not agree with this!! hi hi) wife; an IT engineer to a house-wife;  and a huge move from my home in Kerala (India) to a new home in Houston (U.S.A). It feels like all of this happened in a blink of an eye. All this change wouldn't have sunk in so easily if not for my hubby dear. :)   Starting this blog was not impromptu. I used to blog during my college days. But this time I wanted a blog meant only for my cooking experiments or challenges. After settling down in our lovely apartment, I slowly started my cooking experiments. Initially I would jot all of it in a notebook. Then I decided not to a