Skip to main content

Koottu Curry & a Special Day

Today is "Attham" - the first day of the 10 day long festival of Onam. Atham is regarded holy and auspicious by the people of Kerala. Onam is a festival which is celebrated in a large scale in Kerala apart from Christmas, Easter and Vishu. 

Onam falls in the month of "Chingam" (Malayalam calendar) and marks the homecoming of the legendary King Maveli. It is said that during his rule all people were considered equal and there was no caste based distinction. This folk song about Maveli tells us the same "Maveli nadu vaneedum kalam, manushyarellarum onnu pole".

Today is even more special for me as it is my dearest Mummy's birthday :-) Happy birthday my dear "Mum". I love you so much and I miss you so much. I am sure Mum is going to have a blast there with her friends and of course with Daddy. :-)





On this special day of "Attham" - Mum's birthday, I decided to post something that my mom loves - Koottu Cury. Koottu Curry is one of her favorite "Sadya" (Sadya is a big feast associated with a special occasion) dishes. A combination of black chickpeas, raw banana and yam, this Kerala delicacy is a must-have part of the Sadya.




Thanks to the Yummy Team of Yummy O Yummy  for showing this perfect authentic recipe for Kottu curry. :-) Arun just loved it. :-)  


Ingredients 
  • Raw banana, diced - 2
  • Yam/Chena, diced - 1.5 C
  • Green chillies, slit - 4
  • Curry leaves, sprigs - 1
  • Black chickpeas/kadala, cooked - 3/4 C 
  • Turmeric powder - 1/2 t
  • Chilly powder - 1/2 t
  • Cumin powder - 1 t
  • Garam masala powder - 1 t
  • Grated coconut - 1 1/2 C

For the tadka
  • Mustard seeds - 1/2 t
  • Dry red chillies - 3
  • Curry leaves - 1 sprig
  • Salt - To taste
  • Oil - 1 T



Method
  • Cook the banana and yam along with turmeric powder, chilly powder, green chillies, curry leaves, water (enough to cover them) and salt. 
  • Continue cooking until they are well-cooked and the water has evaporated completely. 
  • To this, add garam masala powder, cumin powder and the cooked chickpeas. 
  • Mix it very well. 
  • Meanwhile roast the coconut until it turns brown (be careful not to burn it). 
  • Add the roasted coconut to the cooked vegetable mixture. 
  • Taste the mix and check for salt.
For the Tadka
  • In a small pan, heat coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds. 
  • Fry dry red chillies and curry leaves. 
  • Pour over the veggie mix. 
  • Your yummy koottu curry is ready to be served.

Koottu curry goes best with rice. I love it any day :-) Try this out friends.

Comments

  1. Onam wishes Gopika! Yummy looking kootucurry. Authentic dishes tastes so good. I just love these sadhya dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks wonderful deliciously done

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have a great space here. the curry looks delish. belated birthday wishes to your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. perfect...love this a lot.....Happy onam dear

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Onam Gopika. Nice and yummy dish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe on this special occasion .... Looks very delicious .... Thanks for stopping by ... Happy to follow u ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. with this delicacy lets invite onam...nice clicks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect and tempting kootu curry,my favorite..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Belated B'day wishes to your Mom.Koottu curry is also one of my favorite sadya dishes.Your curry looks tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummm....A tempting, delicious traditional recipe!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  11. Belated b'day wishes to ur mother. Kootu curry looks delicious and very authentic..sure a lovely dish in our sadyas..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Onam to you!!Kootu curry looks delicious..
    Thanx for visiting my blog and leaving your comments,hoping to see you frequently..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Makes me drool,feel like having some..

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of my friend used to make that and get it for lunch at office. Looks lovely and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wowwwwwwww.. Such a classic and delicious recipe.. looks absolutely perfect.. thanks for sharing :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wishing you a wonderful Onam season, this looks delicious... I like raw banana kootu. hope your mom had a blessed day...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wishing you a wonderful Onam season, this looks delicious and healthy..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely recipe dear! Looks so delectable :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. First time here....

    Happy Onam :)
    curry looks delicious.
    U have a wonderful space, with interesting recipes, glad to follow u.

    visit my space when u find time

    ArunaManikandan
    http://ensamayalkuripugal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy onam and happy birthday to your mom! i've never tried this version of koottu before.! looks yummy!
    Richa@ Hobby And More Food Blog

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Onam Gopika and Happy belated birthday to your mum! I love traditions and traditional recipes and this koottu curry looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a great festive recipe. Love the usage of raw banana.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very new recipe for me and I want to try n eat some right now :)
    Birthday wishes to your mom!
    USMasala

    ReplyDelete
  24. Authentic and perfect dish,love your space

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shahi Paneer / Indian Cottage Cheese In Creamy Gravy

Shahi Paneer is a very popular dish in India. Shahi means "Royal". Shahi Paneer is a part of the " Mughlai " cuisine. "Mughlai" cuisine was developed in the kitchens of the Mughal Empire . This cuisine is always famous for its distinct aroma consisting of whole spices. Gosh, I am feeling hungry! :D Paneer is one of my all-time favorites. :) I just love Paneer. :D And so I am always in search of new paneer recipes. And here is another one from the lovely Aipi of US Masala . :D Thanks to her awesome recipes. I keep going back to check out all of them. I am always sure to find something new :) Here is the recipe friends. Do try it out and let me know how you like it.. :D Ingredients Paneer, cubed – 1 C Onions, chopped – 2 Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp Garam Masala – 1/4 t Ginger -1 " pc Garlic - 3 Green chilli - 2 Asafetida/hing - a pinch Almonds - 1/4 C Cashew - 1/2 C Milk- 1 C Water - 1 C Sugar – 1/2 t Salt – to taste C

Hummus

How can I even dream of having a Pita bread without this yummy creamy dip --> Hummus of course. :) Like many other cuisines, Mediterranean was also introduced to me by my hubby dear. He loves Hummus and now, me too :D And thats how I ended trying to make it at home. Ingredients Yogurt - 1/4 C Garbanzo Beans / Chick Peas - 2 C Tahini (Sesame Seed Paste) - 1/2 C Lemon Juice - 1/2 C Garlic cloves - 3 Salt - 1/2 t Citric acid - 1/4 t Water - 2 T Mint Leaves - a few For garnishing Parsley - 2 T Cayenne Pepper or Paprika - 1 t Olive Oil - 1/4 C Method   In a food processor, add the garbonzo beans, garlic, lemon juice and salt, blend until smooth.  Next add yogurt, tahini, water, citric acid and mint leaves. Spread the hummus in a plate and garnish with parsley, cayenne pepper and olive oil. Serve with pita bread.

The Kitchen Affaire turns One :)

The afternoon breeze and the sound of rustling leaves is so soothing. So here I sit, enjoying this change of weather, to pen memories of last year. Gosh!! I cant believe that - The Kitchen Affaire; is turning "One". :) Time does fly. Last year has been very eventful. An year that changed my title from: a carefree mommy's gal to an "adorable" ("A" would not agree with this!! hi hi) wife; an IT engineer to a house-wife;  and a huge move from my home in Kerala (India) to a new home in Houston (U.S.A). It feels like all of this happened in a blink of an eye. All this change wouldn't have sunk in so easily if not for my hubby dear. :)   Starting this blog was not impromptu. I used to blog during my college days. But this time I wanted a blog meant only for my cooking experiments or challenges. After settling down in our lovely apartment, I slowly started my cooking experiments. Initially I would jot all of it in a notebook. Then I decided not to a